Bharli Vaangi (Stuffed eggplant curry) originates from Maharashtra. This typical Maharastrian preparation comes generations from the Peshwai era. The masala stuffed in the stomach of this eggplants is just perfect to melt it in your mouth.
When I talk about typical Maharastrian dish, the first person who comes to my mind is my granny. She cooks this to near perfection. So, keeping my granny’s recipe in my mind, I opened “Annapurna”- Maharastrian recipe book gifted by my dear MIL and mixing both the recipes I made my version. And what a meal, fill your plate with this hot bharli vaangi and bhakris.
You Need :Utensils:
5-6 Baby Eggplants (Vaangi)
For Masala Paste:
½ Cup grated dry Coconut/desiccated coconut
1 Onion (medium size)
3 – 4 Cloves of garlic
½ Cup peanut
3-4 Red whole Chillis
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1 tsp Coriander seeds
2 tsp Goda masala (Maharastrian garam masala)
1 tsp Tamarind Extract
½ tsp Turmeric powder
Small piece of jaggery
Salt to taste
Few chopped cilantro (coriander) leaves.
1. Slit the egg plants in a (+) shape from bottom for the stuffing.
2. For the masala paste; dry roast in a pan, dry coconut, chopped onions, chopped garlic, peanuts, red chillis, cumin seeds, coriander seeds.
3. Grind the masala into powder, add turmeric, goda masala, tamarind extract, salt, add little water to form a paste.
4. Now fill in this masala paste in the eggplants.
5. In a wok, heat oil. Add the remaining masala paste, and the stuffed eggplants.
6. Add a piece of jaggery.
7. Cook till the eggplants get tender.
8. When done, sprinkle some chopped coriander leaves.
9. Serve hot with some bhakris or rice.